Total Time: Preparation Time: 15-20 mins Cooking Time: 15-20 mins Servings: 4-6 |
Chicken korma…a traditional and easy preparation of chicken that is cooked in most household in India with slight variations. Here’s my recipe of chicken korma. You can enjoy this korma with rice or parathas.
- 500 grams - chicken with bones - cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 3 large tomatoes - chopped
- 5-6 green chillies - chopped
- 1 black bardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
- 5 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 onion - roughly chopped
- 6-7 flakes of garlic - roughly chopped
- 2 inch piece ginger - roughly chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 cardamom
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp poppy seeds/khus khus
- 1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
- 2 tbsp grated kopra or desiccated coconut
Directions & How to
- Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add all the ingredients from list B and fry it well on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Cool it and grind to a smooth paste adding enough water.
- In a thick bottom kadhai or pan heat remaining 3 tbsp oil, add black cardamom, bay leaves and onions, fry it till golden brown.
- Add the ground paste and fry it well till oil starts leaving the edges of the pan.
- Mix chicken and fry it on a medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped turmeric powder, tomatoes, green chillies and salt. Saute it for 2 more minutes. Mix around 1/2 cup of water and cook it covered on slow heat for 7-10 minutes or till it is cooked through.
- Just before serving, heat the ghee/clarified butter to smoking point and pour over the cooked chicken.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.