Raw papaya salad
Total Time: Preparation Time: 25-30 mins Cooking Time: 5 mins Servings: 5-6 |
Raw papaya salad, or popularly know as Som Tam is a Thai salad, that’s very nutritious and quite unique. This recipe is my version of Som Tam. A salad that’s sure to be a hit on your party table.
- 1 small firm and green raw papaya - cut into thin and long strips
- 1 cup spring onion- cut into thin and long strips
- 2 medium firm red tomatoes- de seeded and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup roasted and crushed pea nuts
To prepare dressing
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp soya sauce or fish sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tbsp chilli garlic oil
- Salt as per taste
To prepare chilli garlic oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10-12 whole dried red chillies
- 10-12 garlic flakes
Directions & How to
- Prepare the dressing by mixing lemon juice, soya sauce or fish sauce,brown sugar, honey, pepper, salt and oil in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine together papaya, spring onion, tomatoes and crushed pea nuts. Pour over the dressing and toss everything well.
- Remove on a serving plate and serve immediately.
Preparing chilli garlic oil
- Crush the garlic flakes and break the red chillies. Heat oil in a wok and fry garlic and chillies till they burn out or turn dark golden. Discard the chillies and garlic and keep the oil. Cool it and store. It can stay for up to 15 days if kept in refrigerator.