Chicken Chargha is very famous street food from Lahore, Pakistan. When I ate it I had to make it. So here is the recipe for a spicy crispy chicken. This chicken is steamed first and then fried, so this makes it easy to serve in dinner party or otherwise. Frying does not take time as it is already cooked.
- 1 whole chicken (about 1 – 1.25 kg)
- 3 fresh lemons’ juice
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup thick hung curd (sour kind)
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp heaped garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp black salt
- A pinch red food colour
- Salt to taste (remember black salt is also being added)
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 tbsp butter and few chopped green chilies
Directions & How to
- Wash and clean the chicken. In a deep bowl add water to cover the whole chicken. Add some salt and leave it to brine for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the marination. Mix together all the ingredients together except oil and form a paste. Keep aside.
- Pat dry the chicken, make thick long gashes on the breast and thighs of the chicken. So that marination reaches deep in the chicken.
- Rub all the marinade on the chicken inside and out. Let it marinate for 4 hours at least.
- In a large pot add about 1-2 “of water. Keep sieve over it and then place the chicken on it and cover well with foil. Steam it till chicken is completely cooked.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan. Add the steamed chicken and fry on high heat till crispy. Heat butter in a small pan and add chillies and pour this over cooked chicken. It is ready to be served with chutney or salad.
- Note: If the marinade becomes too liquid, I cook the remaining marinade in another small pot with 1 tsp of oil and rub this cooked marinade on steamed chicken before frying.