Total Time: Preparation Time: 15-20 mins Cooking Time: 15-20 mins Servings: 4-6 |
Pav bhaji..a very popular street food from mumbai, its a spicy, tangy and buttery treat…enjoy this extremely delicious dish with your loved ones.
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup green peas - optional
- 1 capsicum - finely chopped
- 1 large onion- finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- A pinch of orange red food colour - optional
- Salt to taste
- 100 grams butter
- Juice of a lime
- Fresh coriander leaves - finely chopped
- 8-10 pavs
- Few lemon wedges, finely chopped onions and finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
To prepare pav bhaji masala
- 4-5 dry red chillies
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur
Directions & How to
- To prepare the pav bhaji masala, dry roast all the ingredients separately till it leaves a nice aroma. Cool and grind to a fine powder. Use around 2 tbsp of this masala for the recipe, remaining can be stored and used later, can be used in making tawa pulao too..
- Boil the potatoes, carrots, peas and cabbage for 6-8 whistles. When cool remove and mash them very well. Dont throw away the water in which it was boiled. Keep tit aside for later use.
- Grind the tomatoes and green chillies to a smooth paste.
- Heat the butter in a wok/kadhai. Add onions and saute it till soft. Add capsicum and ginger garlic paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt. Stir well and cook it covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mashed vegetables and pav bhaji masala, stir well, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the food colour (if using) and the stock (water in which vegetables were boiled) and bring it to a proper consistency.
- Add lemon juice , a handful of chopped coriander leaves and a little extra butter. Stir and remove from the flame.
- Cut the pav into halves. Spread a little butter on it and fry it on a pan or tawa till light golden.
- Serve it with hot bhaji garnished with chopped onions, coriander leaves, and butter.