Total Time: Preparation Time: 10-15 plus rising time mins Cooking Time: 20-30 mins Servings: 5-6 |
Dinner Rolls are not widely made in Indian kitchens, but you will fall in love with freshly baked dinner rolls once you try making them with this recipe.
- 2½ tsp yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1cup warm milk
- 3 tbsp butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups all purpose flour plus more
Directions & How to
- To proof the yeast take a large glass bowl add warm water and sprinkle yeast on it, do not mix or stir. Let it stand for 10 minutes in a warm place to proof.
- Add milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour to the proofed yeast and mix well with a wire whisk, without any lumps.
- Add rest of the flour in batches; half cup at a time and mixing after each addition to form a sticky dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 7-8 minutes to make smooth dough.
- Grease a large glass bowl, place the dough in it and oil the dough top as well. Cover with a wet kitchen towel and keep it in a warm place to rise about 1-2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten the dough a bit and divide into 10 -12 equal portions and shape them in smooth balls. Place on a greased baking tray for second rising; till it doubles in size.
- Bake the rolls in preheated oven at 180* C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.