Total Time: Preparation Time: 5-10 mins Cooking Time: 20-30 mins Servings: 4 |
Total reviews: 1 Views: 930
Yakhni Pulao is a popular northern Indian rice dish, the meat pieces are boiled with whole spices to get a flavorful stock, in which rice is cooked to perfection and the whole garam masalas give it a beautiful aroma.
- Basmati rice 2 cups, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp. clarified butter (ghee) or any other vegetable oil
- 2 green chillies
For the Yakhni (Stock)
- ½ kg mutton pieces
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 12-15 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamoms
- 10-12 black pepper corns
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 large bay leaf
- Few strands of mace
- Salt to taste
Directions & How to
- Take a muslin cloth and tie all the ingredients of yakhni (stock) in it except mutton.
- In a pressure cooker, add mutton, salt, 3 ½ of water, muslin pouch and cook for 15-12 minutes till mutton is almost done.
- When the pressure cools itself, strain the stock, remove the muslin pouch and separate the mutton pieces and keep aside.[Measure the stock, we will need 3 cups of stock for 2 cups of rice, if there is extra, boil it down and if less add little water and boil once along with muslin pouch and mutton]
- Heat clarified butter in heavy bottomed pan, fry the finely sliced onion till golden and remove them on an absorbent paper.
- In the same pan, fry mutton pieces and remove them as well.
- To the remaining clarified butter, add green chillies and yakhni (stock), bring it to a boil once and add the rice and let it cook till done.
- Layer fried mutton and onions on to the rice and cover for 10 minutes (without heat) and then serve.