Murgh makhani or butter chicken is a very popular Indian dish around the world. There are quite many variations of this famous dish. In this recipe I have used cahsewnut paste and yoghurt to make its gravy, and is pretty easy to make. Enjoy our lip smacking butter chicken with naans or parathas.
- 500 grams chicken boneless - cut into medium chunks
- 1 cup beaten yoghurt
- 1/2 cup cashew nut paste
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi- dried fenugreek leaves
- 50 grams butter + 1 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tsp red chilli paste or 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp tandoori chicken masala powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Juice of half a lime
- 3 tbsp hung curd
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Directions & How to
- Mix all the ingredients required for marination and marinate the chicken in it for 4-6 hours. Shallow fry it in a pan or alternatively you can cook it in a preheated oven at 200°C for ten to twelve minutes or till almost done.
- In a thick bottomed wok/kadhai, heat the butter and 1 tbsp oil, low down the flame and add cashewnut paste and saute it for around 30-40 seconds.
- Add beaten yoghurt, kashmiri red chilli powder, salt and saute well for a minute. If it is too dry or sticks to the pan then add around 1/2 a cup of water.
- Add cooked chicken, stir well and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and crushed kasuri methi .
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves and a dollop of butter on top.