Dal Chawal Palida
Total Time: Preparation Time: 20-25 mins Cooking Time: 35-40 mins Servings: 4 |
Total reviews: 2 Write a review Views: 5,703
Dal chawal palida a tasty and traditional bohra dish. Rice is cooked with lentils and is served with a vegetable gravy known as palida. A must have dish on a bohri thaal.
For dal chawal
- 2 cups basmati rice - washed and soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 cup split pigeon peas/yellow lentils or tuvar dal
- 1 medium onion- sliced
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
- Few drops of yellow food colour
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp clarified butter or oil
- 500 grams bottle gourd - peeled and cut into medium sized pieces * Palida can be made using other vegetables too like pumpkin, squash, brinjals/eggplant or even drumsticks.
- 1 small onion - sliced
- 2 medium sized tomatoes - chopped
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 5-6 garlic flakes- chopped
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 red chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp gram flour or besan
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2-3 petals of dried mangosteen/kokum or 2 tsp tamarind pulp or juice of a lime
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves- finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp clarified butter or oil
- Water in which lentils was boiled
Directions & How to
Making dal chawal
- Boil rice in enough water with salt, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and 1tbsp of oil till 3/4th done. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil the lentils in 3 cups of water with turmeric powder and salt till they turn soft. Lentils should not become mushy, just cooked till done. Drain and keep aside. Reserve the water in which lentil was boiled. It will be used in making palida or veg gravy.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan, add onions and fry till golden.Add rice, cooked lentils, chopped coriander leaves and yellow food color and cook it covered on a slow flame for 5-8 minutes.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli flakes and garlic. When they crackle add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add gram flour and fry it till it changes color. Add tomatoes, green chillies and coriander powder cook till it turns soft.
- Add bottle gourd, cook for a minute, add kokum/tamarind paste/lemon juice.
- Add the water in which lentils was boiled and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes till the vegetable is cooked through.
- Garnish palida with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with dal chawal.