A very easy to prepare chicken gravy, which does not require much chopping and cutting as there are no onions and tomatoes used in this recipe. Its just tender pieces of chicken simmered in yogurt and some spices. Dahi chicken is a very simple yet delicious chicken gravy dish which can be savoured with rice as well as rotis.
- 500 grams - chicken with bones - cut into medium sized pieces
- 5-6 garlic flakes - chopped
- 2-3 green chillies - chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup yogurt - well beaten
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup cashewnut paste - optional
- 2 tbsp clarified butter/ghee - optional
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Directions & How to
- In a mixing bowl take all the powdered spices, add yogurt, salt and mix it well. Marinate the chicken peices in it for around 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadhai. Add cumin seeds when it splutter add garlic and green chillies, fry it till it changes colour.
- Add marinated chicken, stir well, saute it for 2 minutes and then cook it covered for 8-10 minutes or till done.
- Check the seasoning once. Chicken once cooked through you can serve it as it is. This simple gravy will taste awesome or you can add cashewnut paste at this stage if you wish to turn it to a more richer gravy.
- If adding cashew nut paste then add it to the cooked chicken, stir well and leave it to simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mean while in a small tarka pan heat 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter till smoking point and pour it over the cooked chicken.
- Stir well, simmer for another minute and serve hot garnished with fresh coriander leaves.