Quick and delicious Rava idli…its a variation of the popular South Indian breakfast item “idli”, which is made with rava or sooji or semolina. As it doesn’t require any grinding or fermenting its pretty easy to make it and can be prepared instantly.
- 1 cup rava/sooji/semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp bengal gram/ chana dal
- 8-10 curry leaves - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp eno or fruit salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Around 1/2 cup of water
Directions & How to
- Heat oil in a wok/kadhai. Add mustard seeds, when it splutter add bengal gram and curry leaves, fry for few seconds, then mix sooji or rava and roast it for a minute or two on slow flame. ( we dont need to brown the sooji for this, just roast it lightly.)
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and let it cool for a while. Now add yogurt, chopped ginger, chillies, coriander leaves, salt and around 1/2 cup of water and mix it well to make a thick batter. Leave it to rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile get your idli pot ready.
- Add eno or fruit salt to the batter and mix it well. Pour spoonful of batter in greased idli moulds and steam for 8-10 minutes or till it is cooked through.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.