Total Time: Preparation Time: 15-20 mins Cooking Time: 20-25 mins Servings: 8-10 |
Total reviews: 4 Views: 234
Pita bread is a staple bread in middle eastern cuisine. Its generally eaten with hummus and also used to make delicious wraps and sandwiches in the pocket. This pita bread recipe is simple and quick to make.
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups refined flour + 1/2 cup for dusting
- 1. 1/2 cups luke warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Directions & How to
- In a small bowl take yeast and sugar, pour around 3-4 tbsp of water and stir it well. Leave it to rest for 10-15 minutes or till it becomes frothy.
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Make a small depression in the middle of flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining water little by little and gather the dough with your fingers. Once it comes together, knead it well to a smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl and leave the dough to rise in warm place for about 3 hours, or till it doubles in size.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. Knead it again very lightly. Make small balls of it, place the balls on floured surface and keep it covered for 10 minutes.
- Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Drizzle a little oil in the pan and wipe off the excess.
- Place a a rolled-out pita on the skillet and cook for 30 seconds or until you see bubbles starting to form. Flip and cook on the other side too for 30- 40seconds.
- With the help of tongs lift the pita and take it on the direct flame, the pita will immediately puff up completely.
- If you want to bake the pitas then place the rolled-out pitas directly on the greased baking tray, and bake for about 3 minutes in a preheated oven at 200o C . After 3 minutes flip the pitas once, they will start to puff up after a minute or two and is done when it has fully puffed. Remove and let it cool.
- Keep cooked pitas covered with a clean dish towel while cooking remaining pitas.
- Serve it hot with hummus or with any stuffing of your choice, or store it for later use.