Paneer Yakhni Pulao
Yakhni pulao a tradional awadhi pulao, where rice is cooked in stock, either chicken stock or mutton stock, with some added spices. I tried making the same yakhni pulao using paneer or cottage cheese for our vegetarians friends and the result was awesome. Enjoy this delicious paneer yakhni pulao with a good raita of your choice.
- 2 cups long grain biryani rice or basmati rice
- 300 grams paneer - cut into cubes
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 tbsp yogurt - well beaten
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 4-5 cloves/laung
- 4-5 green cardamoms/choti elaichi
- 1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
- 1 inch piece cinnamon/dalchini
- Few strands of mace
- 1 bay leaf
- Orange food colour
- Few drops of kewra or rose water
- Salt to taste
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 5 -6 tbsp oil
- 1/2 part of a small onion - roughly chopped
- 4-5 flakes garlic
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 5-6 dry red chillies
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds/dhania
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds/saunf
Directions & How to
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 mins.
- Boil 5 cups of water along with all the ingredients from the list A for around 10-12 minutes. Strain and keep aside. This will be the yakhni or the stock for our pulao.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed degchi or a pan. Add all the whole spices ( pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf n mace), when they splutter add sliced onions and fry till golden.Remove around a tbsp of fried onion and keep aside.
- Low down the flame and mix minced ginger and garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cubed paneer, and yogurt and stir it gently, saute for a minute or 2.
- Drain the soaked rice and mix it in it. Now add 4 cups of the yakhni or stock and cook it on high heat till the water dries up.
- Once the water is absorbed, spread the fried onions, food color, few drops of kewra or rose water and ghee over it.
- Seal the pan with foil paper, cover the lid and cook it on the slowest flame for about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot.