Matar samosa…the mini samosas, another commonly sold delhi street food, these are comparatively smaller in size than the regular samosas, with the delicious matar or green peas stuffing…a yummy snack to have with tea, or just anytime you feel like munching on it….
For the dough
- 2 cups maida /all purpose flour
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- Salt to tase
- 1/2 cup oil or ghee
- Water to knead the dough
- Oil for deep frying
For the filling
- 1 small onion - sliced
- 200 grams green peas
- 2-3 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/zeera
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder/amchur
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida/hing
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
Directions & How to
Preparing the filling
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida, when it crackles, add onions and saute till it turns soft.
- Mix chillies and ginger and fry for a minute, add green peas and stir well.
- Mix in salt, pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or till the peas are cooked through.
- Mix in amchur powder and kasuri methi, stir well and saute again for around 2 minutes. Let it cool before using it.
Preparing the Samosa
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, carom seeds and oil. Rub the flours with your fingers to form a crumby texture.
- Now add water little by little and try to bring it together and knead it to a firm dough. Cover the bowl and leave it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Before proceeding to roll it knead it well once again for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls, roll each ball into a chapati and cut into halves or semi circles.
- Take a half part and on the straight end apply a little water and shape it up into a cone. Put spoonful of filling and seal the edges carefully using a little water.
- Repeat with the remaining halves and filling to make more samosas.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas on a slow flame till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with a chutney of your choice or ketchup.