Hummus is a middle eastern and arabic food dip or spread made from cooked chick peas blended with olive oil, tahini and garlic, with tahini being its main ingredient that cannot be substituted. Hummus is a very nutritional spread with lots of protiens. Serve it with hot pita bread or cheesy pita crisps and enjoy.
- 150 grams chickpeas/kabuli channa
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp tahini paste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 no. lemon
- Few pinches of red chilli powder
- Finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
Directions & How to
- Soak chickpeas for 8-10 hours. Drain, rinse and boil in fresh water with a little salt in it till very soft. When done strain it and preserve the water in which it was boiled.
- Take it in a food processor, mix garlic cloves and around 3 tbsp of olive oil and tahini paste and blend it to a very smooth paste using the liquid in which chick peas was boiled.
- For plating spread the hummus on a shallow plate or dish evenly.
- Garnish it with remaining olive oil, and chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle a little chilli powder and lemon juice over it and serve immediately with pita bread or cheesy pita triangles.
- Hummus can be refrigerated for up to 3 days . Add a little olive oil if it appears to be too dry.
- For garnishing you can use sumac or zaatar instead of chilli powder.