Total Time: Preparation Time: 20-25 mins Cooking Time: 20-25 mins Servings: 4-6 |
Veg Kolhapuri is a traditional dish from Kolhapur a city in Maharashtra. Assorted vegetables are cooked in a special spicy masala. Veg kolhapuri is one of the tastiest mix veg gravies which can be savoured with rice as well as naans and parathas.
- 1 cup chopped assorted vegetables - carrot, beans, peas, cabbage, cauliflower etc
- 1 onion - cut into cubes
- 1 capsicum cut into cubes
- 8-10 button mushroom - halved - optional
- 100 grams paneer/cottage cheese - cubed - optional
- 3 tomatoes - finely chopped or pureed
- 1/4 cup beaten yogurt
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed/saunf powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry feneugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 part of a small onion - roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies - roughly chopped
- 4-5 flakes of garlic - roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger - roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4-5 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi
- 1 tsp poppy seeds/khus khus
- 1 tsp sesame seeds/til
- 3-4 cloves/laung
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
Directions & How to
- Boil the chopped veggies in enough water with little salt till they are almost cooked through. Take care not to overcook them. Strain and keep aside. Keep the stock too.
- Heat around 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add all the ingredients from list A and fry it well on low heat for 3-4 minutes. When cool, add little water and grind it to a very smooth paste. Remove and keep aside.
- To the same pan add a little oil, add cubed onion, capsicum, paneer and mushrooms ( if using) and saute it well for around 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Now heat remaining oil in it, add the ground paste and saute it well for 4-5 minutes or till the raw smell disappears and it get cooked properly.
- Add finely chopped or pureed tomatoes and salt and cook it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now mix in it boiled veggies and sauteed veggies (onions, capsicum, paneer and mushrooms). Stir well, add yogurt and cream and cook it for 3-4 minutes. Add a little stock(left from the boiled veggies) to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Heat ghee/clarified butter in a small tarka pan to smoking point and pour it on the prepared veggies. Sprinkle saunf powder and a little crushed kasuri methi. Stir well and let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot garnsihed with fresh coriander leaves.
- Veg kolhapuri tastes good with rice as well as naans and parathas.