Total Time: Preparation Time: 10-15 mins Cooking Time: 15-20 mins Servings: 6 |
Total reviews: 2 Views: 1,232
Khushka is a very popular south Indian rice preparation . Its simple, yet delicious. The nutty flavoured rice, with the ghee and rich essence of kewra makes it a yummy fragrant pulao.
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium onion- sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger julienne
- Whole spices - 4 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves, 6-7 black pepper corns,1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- Few drops of orange or yellow food color
- Few drops of screwpine/kewra or rose water
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp clarified butter/ghee
- 6 cups of hot water
Directions & How to
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add all the whole spices, when it crackles add ginger, fry for 30 seconds, add 3/4th of the onion and fry till it browns.
- Add rice, fry it for about a minute, add salt, pour in hot water, bring it to a boil and reduce the heat, and cook it covered till the water absorbs.
- Meanwhile in another small pan, heat clarified butter/ghee, and fry remaining onions till golden, remove and keep aside. Fry cashews, almonds and raisins. Remove and keep aside.
- By now water in the rice must be almost absorbed. Spread the fried onions, fried nuts, food color, few drops of screwpine and also the ghee in which nuts and onions were fried.
- Seal the pan with foil paper, cover the lid and cook it on the slowest flame for about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot.