Dahi vada…a very popular north Indian snack also called dahi bhalle…made with urad dal and moong dal…soft and spongy dumpling dunked in creamy yogurt, garnished with spicy green chutney and khatti meethi imli ki chutney, a finger licking snack…In southern India they have their own version of this delicacy which is again very delicious.
For the Vadas
- 1/2 cup dhuli urad dal/split and skinned black lentils
- 1/2 cup dhuli moong dal/split and skinned green gram
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- Oil for frying
For the dahi dressing
- 3 cups yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp minced green chillies
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mint powder
- Black salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Green chutney
- Imli chutney
- Chat masala
- Dry mint powder - optional
Directions & How to
- Wash and soak both the dals together for 6-7 hours or over night.
- Drain it well and grind it with ginger, green chillies, cumin seeds and salt to a smooth paste using little water.
- Remove it in a large mixing bowl and whisk well till the batter is light and fluffy. Add little more water if required.
- Heat oil in a deep wok/kadhai and drop spoonful of the batter and deep fry in hot oil on a slow flame till the vadas are light golden and crisp. Once done remove and put it in a bowl of water. Let it soak for 2-3 minutes. Remove the vadas, gently press to squeeze out extra water. Arrange it in a single layer in a serving dish and keep aside.
- Combine yogurt with all the listed ingredients in a bowl. Whisk it well and pour it over the vadas and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- While serving drizzle green chutney, imli chutney and sprinkle little chat masala and serve.